This Monday we welcomed boy number 4 to our family
First Bath
He's Big!
8lbs 14 oz
22 in.
Head: 38 1/2 cm (the biggest head the nurse had EVER measured - she had to do it 3 times just to make sure it was correct)
My due date was either the 20th by one calculation or the 22nd by another. When the 20th came and went and then the 22nd came- I was DONE! I called my doctor on Sunday the 22nd and asked him to call the hospital and set me up to be induced the next day. He called back with the bad news that they already had scheduled 5 people to be induced (lot's of people wanted it done before the Pioneer Day holiday). So I was on a "waiting list" which meant I would just have to wait for a call from the hospital which might not come until late afternoon or even the evening. Matt and I slept great that night since we knew we didn't expect anything to happen that evening and we would be going to the hospital the next day to finally get our baby here! The next morning I felt fine and started making breakfast. Just as we started eating the phone rang and the caller ID said LDS Hospital. My heart jumped and I hoped it wasn't just a call to get general information or something like that. The girl on the phone asked if I could be there by 9:30 (it was 8:45) I excitedly responded yes! It was so cute when I hung up Jackson said "oh, mom I was just crossing my fingers when you said it was the hospital." I was SO happy that we could go in early since that meant the baby would be born at an hour that my boys could come and see him - they have been so excited all week waiting for this. We all gulped down our breakfast as fast as we could and started throwing our things into bags and into the car. We have never had such a rush going to the hospital so that made it very fun for us and the kids. So that was the first answer to my prayers. The second prayer of mine was that my body would be ready for this proccess and not take 12 hours on pitocin to finally have the baby! I wasn't sure if this prayer would be answered since I had my doctor check me the night before (he is a great doctor that would meet me at his clinic at 9pm on a Sunday!) and he reported I had not progressed at all - in spite of serious pain and contractions all week! He said the babies head was still too high up. I was pretty crushed to hear all this (who would have guessed on a 4th baby that this would happen!?). Anyway after getting to the hospital my nurse checked me before starting the pitocin and reported I was a 3 and the babies head was all the way down. I was so relieved and knew that God was definitely hearing and answering my prayers. The nurse couldn't believe that I had progressed that much in one night and hadn't felt a thing and slept great. At this point it was about 10:30 and she started the Pitocin, she then told us "let's see if we can have this baby by 3pm". Matt and I happily agreed.
At about 2:45 the nurse checked me and I was a 6 she then said I can tell this next part is going to go very quickly so I am going to go call your Dr. now. When she talked to my Dr. he said - "oh just call me again when she is complete." My nurse politely refused and said he had a 20 min drive so he needed to leave now because I would be complete by the time he got there. She was right. Tyson was born at 3:36 (this nurse was good!).
After delivering the baby all the nurses and my dr. were commenting about his huge size. The dr. wanted to try to not give me an episiotomy -but he would have thought better of that if he had known the head that was about to be born! After putting baby Tyson on my chest they began rubbing him trying to get him to cry and breath. He did just one little cry and kept turning more and more blue. He had a lot of fluid coming out of his mouth which they were quickly trying to suck out but he still would not breath. After a couple minutes of this the nurse got really scared and picked him up of my chest and rushed him over to the baby bed and pulled the alarm for a "code blue." Suddenly 6 nurses came running into the room and started frantically working on him. It seemed like an eternity as I laid there and watched this perfect baby turn such a dark shade of blue and become lifeless. I was praying my heart out to God to please don't take him, please help him. All I could think was that he had already answered my prayers twice today PLEASE hear and answer this last prayer. No words can express how relieved and happy I was to hear this little baby finally give a good cry - I knew he would make it and be ok. I didn't have much of an outward reaction to this scare at the time but as I write this today I am bawling. The experience just really brought home to me what a precious thing Life is. What a miracle these little babies are that our Heavenly Father sends to us and I feel such immense gratitude that he would send me another one. I feel a bit of regret and sadness for the bad attitude I have had over the majority of this pregnancy about not enjoying being pregnant, never wanting to do this again, and not really looking forward to the difficulties that come with having a newborn. I complained about the most beautiful, perfect and sacred gift that my Heavenly Father could possibly have given me and I regret that. I am so thankful to have this gift though, and grateful for the reminder of the preciousness of the gift. I love this sweet little boy so much. There is nothing in the world that can give you the same feeling of joy and pure love like the love that you feel for a newborn baby.
My parents were already there at the hospital and were able to celebrate with us and soon after Matt's parents arrived with our kids. The boys were so excited to see their new baby brother. The day we brought him home from the hospital Alex immediately came running back to my room to find the baby- he loves him! Tyson had a great first night - best of any of my babies so far (hopefully it continues!).
We named him Tyson because Matt has always loved the name (he wanted to name our first baby boy that name). When we went to the hospital we were still unsure of what the middle name would be. Since we ended up having him on the 23rd of July (and Pioneer day is the next day) I thought it might be cool to name him after one of our pioneer ancestors. I immediately thought of the story of Matt's Great, Great, Great, Great Grandfather Daniel C. Davis. He came across the plains with the Mormon Battalion, got his endowments taken out in the Nauvoo temple, and actually ferried Joseph Smith back across the river when Joseph tried to escape his enemies and a trial in Carthage -Emma and others wanted Joseph to come back home and he subsequently was murdered in Carthage Jail. When Daniel Davis came to Utah he settled in Farmington and Davis County is named in his honor. Ironically he was also born on the 23rd (not of July but still a fun coincidince). I figured Tyson may end up going to Davis High school one day and will be proud to know where that name (and his own name) came from. It's kind of funny that we had not even considered naming him Davis (or after a Pioneer) until the day I had him - probably because I never realized just how close to pioneer day he would end up being born - I thought he was coming sometime before the 20th!
Anyway he's a beautiful baby and we are all loving every minute of this!
1 comment:
So darling and so sweet. You're such a great mother. He is adorable and huge! My boys were all about that big, but not their heads.
Post a Comment