Thursday, April 29, 2010

Hawaii


We just returned from our trip to celebrate the end of tax season. We went with Matt's family and stayed on the Big island this time. It was a new experience and a very different looking island with tons of black lava rock. We were fortunate in that our hotel was right next door to the Hilton Waikaloa- it could basically be described as Disneyland Hawaii. The kids had a great time there. They snorkeled in their Lagoon and saw puffer fish, eels, manta ray's, and lots of turtles. They also enjoyed playing at the pool and doing their water slides. It also had a large pool area with about 6 or 7 large dolphins that we loved watching anytime we walked over there. Actually, from our condo one morning we were able to see at least 20 dolphins swimming and playing in the Ocean which was very cool too. One day we took a road trip to go see the active volcano (Kilauea) and Akaka falls (a beautiful 400 ft. waterfall). The other highlight was kayaking on the ocean to the Captain Cook Monument where we were able to snorkel and see tons of sea life in the most beautiful corral I have ever seen - it was hands down the best snorkeling I have ever done. I have always loved snorkeling and I was excited to be able to take Jackson and Alex for their first time. I was hoping it would be a good experience for them so I was thrilled to share in their excitement as they discovered how cool it was. They got a water camera and loved taking pictures of the cool stuff they were seeing (too bad the pictures never do it justice). The last evening we went to a luau, the food and entertainment were both great. The boys loved getting tribal tattoos painted on their arms. We kept telling them there would be a fire show at the end, sadly Alex couldn't keep his eyes open after a very beautiful but slow hula dance number, so he missed the fire. I guess we'll just have to go back!!!

No comments: