Monday, May 13, 2013

Jackson - all grown up!

Last October I took Jackson to the eye doctor where he confirmed that Jackson's eyes were bad and he needed glasses.  He enjoyed being able to see so clearly but didn't love wearing them so really only used them at school to see the board.  When baseball started Grandma pointed out to Jackson some of the kids wearing sports glasses and wondered if he would like a pair so he could better see the ball.  I didn't want to spend the money on sport's glasses only to have him decide they weren't cool and that he didn't like them (since he doesn't wear his glasses the chances were high he wouldn't wear these either).


I thought maybe we would give contacts a try.  I figured he could get a trial pair free, and they would last a month which is roughly how long baseball season is.  I imagined I would probably have to be the one putting them in and taking them out each game but figured it would give him good experience with contacts since I figured in a few years- maybe when he was 12 or 13 - he would get contacts.

What I didn't expect:  he is wearing them everyday, all day, and putting them in and taking them out all by himself!  He loves them and begged to be able to keep them always - how could I say no when he is such a pro and they are the same cost as glasses!

The lady that helped him at his eye appt. said he is probably the youngest she had ever helped.  He did fine the first day, it took a while as I expected but he was able to do it himself with me watching and coaching.  The next morning I about fell over when I walked into the kitchen and he said "Hi Mom, I already got my contacts in this morning."  I couldn't believe it!  He did the same thing the next day.  It has only been a week and I never have to watch him or help him - he is totally self sufficient with them.  I told him if they ever bothered him at school I would come and help him.  He did call one day and by the time I got to the office he said he was fine now and they were no longer bothering him.  He said one was feeling weird and so he was rubbing his eye and suddenly it came out.  I was shocked and asked "what did you do?" He said matter of factly "I just put it back in!"  Just sitting at his desk, no mirror, no solution, and he just popped that baby back in his eye!  This kid is good!!!

He is now saving up some money because he wants to buy some colored contacts!

No comments: