Sunday, January 23, 2011

Pinewood derby!

Last night was Jackson's first pinewood derby. Anybody that knows Jackson well, knows how creative he is and how much he loves making things and doing projects. Naturally we thought he would be ALL OVER the pinewood derby. Unfortunately at the time he is currently obsessed with Harry Potter (we're just happy it's no longer Twilight - seriously!). He was wanting very badly to make a nice wood magic wand. Matt told him we weren't making a wand until we had finished the pinewood derby car. Big mistake- once the car was shaped he quickly colored on it with marker and called it done. He wrote Harry on one side and Potter (backwards) on the other, then drew a broom stick on top. Matt tried to convince him to spend some more time on it, maybe paint it, decal stickers, weights, lubricate the wheels, etc. All to no avail. He moved on to making the wand which looks very cool! I told Matt I thought it was great that at least it was completely done by him, unlike most pinewood derby cars. When the day came we were a little worried he would feel bad about how his looked or how slow it would be compared to the others. I just figured it would encourage him for next year. Sure enough a spark has been ignited. He was up early this morning drawing sketches and researching on the Internet for next years car- look out! I'm thinking we better build it now while he is interested!

No comments: