Thursday, September 12, 2013

Happy Birthday Alex - and Happy Friday the 13th!

Ironic that this happens on the day before his friday the 13th Birthday!  He came home from school grabbed his bike and decided to go off the neighbors small bike ramp (which he has done many times).  This time it didn't work out so well though!   He walked in the door and I just heard him moaning like he was in pain and gasping like he was trying not to cry.  I immediately knew he had gotten hurt and then he said "look" and held up his arm.  It looked awful and it was obvious it was broken, he confirmed it when he said "I think my bones are disconnected."  I just said "I think you are right, go get in the car and I'll take you to the doctor."  I rushed him to the ER at Davis Hospital in Layton while Pat rushed here to watch the rest of the kids.  I was very relieved that the bone wasn't coming through the skin because I would have passed out on the kitchen floor and added more stress to the situation.  Thankfully with no blood involved I am good.





 After taking the x-rays they were finally able to give him some morphine, hence the smile (below)!  I was amazed at how well this kid held it together.  The whole car ride he was breathing hard and kept saying "Ow, Ow, Ow" but he never fell apart.  I could tell he was on the verge though, he kept all his answers very short and his voice would shake and tears would well up in his eyes.  He was very nervous going to the hospital about what they were going to do to him, and how they were going to fix his arm (I think he knew that part would hurt!).  I kept trying to reassure him that they would make the pain go away and fix his arm all better.  It was reassuring for him to hear the nurse say that they would put him completely asleep while they re-set the bones so he wouldn't feel a thing.  It was so nice once the morphine kicked in to see him relax and start to be able to talk without almost losing control.  I was relieved to see from the X-rays that it wasn't going to require surgery or anything drastic.  When they set the bone I left the room as I knew my queasy stomach probably couldn't handle that.


Finally the ordeal was over and we were ready to go home!  He is doing fine now (thanks to modern medicine!).  His birthday party at the Trampoline Park will have to be postponed.  He is also now going to miss a trip to Lake Powell that was scheduled for next weekend; and he is going to have to wear a plastic bag over his cast for his Baptism in a couple weeks!  Right now we are just hoping it heals well enough to get it off in 6 weeks since that is exactly when we leave for our trip to Disneyland and the beach!  Definitely makes for a memorable 8th birthday!

With 4 boys it was bound to happen at some point!




No comments: